Sleeping habits are important for our health due to so many reasons. Our brain and other organs of the body regain their strength during sleep and make us refreshed and energetic for the day to come. As important as sleep is to our body, there are a few factors which cause disturbance in our sleep patterns. Sleep position is the most important factor of all, and the second factor is your pillow. That’s right, if your pillow is not comfortable, you might not get quality sleep during the night. Beauty sleep is not a myth and you will feel replenished with energy once you have had sound sleep.
Many of us like to sleep on your stomach because of how cozy and comfy we get while sleeping on our stomach. Some of the stomach sleepers complain about the problems of their spine and lower back pain. However, you can still get a slumber sleep even while sleeping on your stomach if you choose the right kind of pillow. Back pain and spinal pain issues can also be reduced if
you only focus on getting the right kind of pillow. There are every kind of pillows available in market for side sleeper, back sleeper and even specific pillows for stomach sleeper. You are going to find tips and reviews of the best pillows for stomach sleeper. Find out the best one for you and enjoy your sleep.
Stomach Sleeping (Good or Bad)
Like any other habit, stomach sleeping has its two sides, the good and bad. Let’s have a look at both of these sides.
The Good of Sleeping on your Stomach
Sleeping on your stomach is not always bad. It is mostly good for people who suffer from sleep apnea or snoring. Stomach sleeping keeps the snoring to a minimum, and so the sleep apnea also gets under control. If you snore then this sleeping position is good for you. However, the side effects of stomach sleeping superseded its positive outcomes.
The Bad of Sleeping on your Stomach
Most of the stomach sleeper experience pain in some part of the body. It could be back or lower back pain or even pain in your spine. Mayo Clinic has found out that most of the stomach sleepers also suffer neck pain because of the strain that is inflicted on the back of your neck. All the nerves go through the spine and strain on the spine can cause even more problems.
Experiencing tingly sensation and numbness can be one of those problems. It can worsen if you don’t pay attention towards your condition.
Stomach Sleeping for Pregnant Females
According to Health Line, mothers-to-be should avoid sleeping on their stomach because of the extra weight around their stomach. The pressure on your stomach by the baby between mattress and mom herself can be harmful to the baby. So it is a no-no for females who are expecting their child.
Who needs a belly stomach sleeper pillow?
People who have been used to sleep on their stomach for their entire life will certainly refuse to change your position. It is also because you can change your sleep position once you are comfortable with it. You can always get a stomach sleeper pillow which is designed especially for the people who refuse to give up the joyful experience of sleeping on their stomach.
Benefits of Thin Pillows and Slim Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
A stomach sleeper pillow is mostly thinner pillow as compared to a regular pillow. These pillows reduce the harmful effects of sleeping on your stomach if do not eliminate those effects altogether. A few of the benefits are given below.
- The thing pillow creates a lesser curve which allows you pelvis to bend less.
- A lower curve reduces the strain which stomach sleeping put on your back and neck and it is best for herniated disks.
- The spine’s alignment gets better when you use thin stomach sleeper pillows, hence relieving you from pain.
- You can easily breathe through the specifically designed fabric for more breath ability.
- Your quality of sleep might be increased and you will feel better while waking up if you don’t have pain in your neck, back or spine.
Best Stomach Sleeping Pillows Comparison Table 2017
You can find some of the best stomach sleeping pillows in market or online, however, these are a few ones which (in our opinion) are best amongst all. Take a look at these and decide the best ones for yourself.
|Elite Rest||Ultra thin, 2.5 inches||Memory Foam + Cotton Cover||2.1 pounds|
|Queen Size||Visco Elastic Memory Foam + Polyester and Rayon||3.5 pounds|
|Queen Size||Cotton outer case||4.8 pounds|
|Snuggle Pedic||Queen Size||Ultra Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam + Polyester and Lycra||4.2 pounds|
|Sleep Whale||Queen Size||Shredded Memory Foam + Polyester and Bamboo||4.4 pounds|
|Standard Size||230 TC Cambric Woven Cotton Case + Feather blend filling||1 pounds|
Top 6 Best Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
You might have trouble finding the best pillow for your comfy stomach sleeping position. We have made it easier for you to decide by pointing out qualities of top 6 best stomach sleeping pillows. These products are given below.
1. Extra Slim Pillow by Elite Rest
This is claimed to be the “thinnest pillow known to humankind” by Elite Rest. Its thickness is only 2.5 inches which makes it pretty thin. For a stomach sleeper, ultra thinness is the most endearing feature in a pillow. However, this is not the only quality the manufacturers are offering. This ultra slim pillow meets all the standards for a good pillow as it includes memory foam.
- The pillow has memory foam.
- Memory foam is hypoallergenic.
- It is dust mite resistant and has anti microbial properties.
- The pillow is also bed bug resistance.
- Elite Rest gives extra importance to the satisfaction of its customer and gives you money back guarantee if you are not satisfied.
- You might not feel anything under your head which may be a good thing for many but might not be comfortable for others.
- It is not certified by CertiPUR.
2. CertiPUR Pillow by Coop Home Goods
Wouldn’t it be great if you can change the thickness of your pillow according to your requirement? If you are too bored with your fixed pillows and want to have an adjustable one, this probably the best one for you.
- It is fully adjustable pillow by Coop Home Goods.
- It has shredded visco elastic memory foam which is adjustable and you can add or remove it according to you requirement.
- Pretty great, huh! This is not enough, this amazing pillows also uses certified foam according to the CertiPUR standards.
- These pillows are also eco friendly and do not include any ozone depleting elements.
- It has all the qualities of the best stomach sleeper pillows like it is hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant and what not.
- The adjustment of pillow by adding or removing of visco elastic might not always be feasible for everyone.
3. The Pancake Pillow
While we are on the topic of adjustable pillows, the pancake pillow is also for the people who want to change the height of their pillow according to their requirement. Say good bye to neck pain and hello to a restful, refreshing and sound sleep. Some of the best qualities of the Panacake pillow is given below.
- The best part about this pillow is that it is equally good for side sleepers, stomach sleepers and back sleepers.
- Every pancake pillow consists of 6 inner layers of pillows and you can add or remove these layers according to your requirement.
- As the name shows, the pancake pillow’s layers are as soft as a pancake.
- It is not CertiPUR certified.
- It does not follow any code of eco-friendliness.
4. Snuggle-Pedic Pillow
This one is also for the people who are too concerned about the ozone layer depletion because it is also made by keeping in mind the international eco friendly standards. Some of the best qualities of the pillow are given below.
- The pillow contains shredded style of memory foam which makes it super soft.
- The memory foam would not let it go flat for a longer period of time.
- The original manufacturers also offer you a 120 night sleep trial and you can get your money back if you are not satisfied.
- It is a special made piece for snugglers because of its super soft making If you have come home after a long hard day and just want to hug super soft pillow and sleep peacefully and snuggle-pedic pillow will be there for you.
- It is amazing for stomach sleepers because it provides support to the back and neck. The orthopedic support provided by this pillow reduces the pain and eventually the harmful effects of sleeping on your stomach.
- Snuggle-pedic pillow is also washable in machine so you don’t have to dry clean it, just put it in the washing machine and it’s done. It is probably the most convenient deal offered.
- It is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- It is not certified according to CertiPUR standards.
5. Sleep Whale Pillow
If you have breathing problems from your pillow then this one offers a better solution to you. You can read the best qualities of the pillow below.
- This hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant pillow is highly breathable.
- It uses shredded memory foam which also keeps the pillow from heating up during the night.
- It is durable because of the 100% shredded foam used in its manufacturing as well as the polyester and bamboo used in the cover.
- It is super soft and you will sleep heavenly in this amazing pillow.
- The best part about sleep whale pillow is that you can change the shape according to your requirement.
- You can sleep while providing maximum support to your head and neck.
- It is the best option for stomach sleeper because it provides relief from back pain by providing support to your head and neck.
- It is machine washable which makes it even better.
- There is not certification available to prove that it follows CertiPUR’s standards.
- No free trials or money back guarantees.
6. Down Filled Pillow
Have you ever imagine what it will be like to sleep on a cloud? If you have imagined that then extra soft down filled pillow is the answer to your question. The down filled pillow has following amazing qualities.
- It is durable with cambric woven cotton casing and filled with 80% down and 20% feather.
- It is designed especially for the stomach sleepers and you will have quality sleep while using this pillow.
- Although the pillow is made with feathers but the sanitization process was kept in mind and that is why it is hypoallergenic.
- The most amazing thing about the pillow is that its fabric is breathable yet hard enough to keep the feathers inside.
- This super soft pillow allows your neck and head to rest at a certain angle which also supports the spine.
- The stomach sleepers can sleep peacefully on this pillow without having to wake up with a neck pain.
- It is also designed to keep the pillow cool during night so you could the best quality of sleep.
- It is not adjustable which means you can change the height of pillow according to your requirement.
- It does not follow CertiPUR standards and might not be eco-friendly.
At times, it is hard to choose the best stomach sleeper pillows from a variety of styles of sleeping pillows available in the market. You can easily choose the best ones if you focus on the following qualities while looking for the stomach sleeping pillows.
It is the most important factor while deciding the stomach sleeping pillow. You have three choices when it comes to material.
Latex is firm and provides ultimate support for your body.
- It is firm.
- Supports your body like no other material
- Dust mite resistant
- Mold growth resistant
- Might heat up
- Not suitable for everyone as it might be too stiff and firm
- Expensive than other materials
Foam is always a better and cheaper choice. Its pros and cons are given below.
- Low maintenance
- Cost effective
- Supports body while sleeping
- Molds the shape according to the requirement of sleeper’s body
- Not highly durable
- Not ultra hygienic as most of them are not fulfill the international standards of hypoallergenic
3. Memory Foam
Memory foam is choice of many now-a-days because of its comfort and low maintenance.
- Molds the shape according to sleeper’s body
- Remember the required shape by the sleeper’s body
- Loses the shape
- Not durable
How to Choose the Best Pillow for Front Sleepers?
There are other things which should be kept in mind too while deciding the best front sleeping pillow. A list of those important factors is given below:
1. Your Needs
Always keep your needs and requirement in your mind while shopping for a pillow or anything for that matter. A stomach sleeper will require a pillow which is suitable for her body posture and something that will support back and spine. Similarly, a person who is allergic to the certain material should avoid getting a pillow made of that.
It is a necessary feature in a pillow, generally for every sleeper and specifically for stomach sleepers. A person who is sleeping on his belly will be keeping his mouth and nose on the pillow for the most part of the night. Hence it is important to get a pillow which has high breathability.
It is important to stay within your budget, and you can find pillows from cheaper ones to highly expensive ones. Keep in mind your budget restrictions and then buy the best one available in that range.
A stomach sleeper will always want a pillow which falls in the category of flat pillows. The reason is that it supports your posture more than any other pillow.
Always find a pillow which uses cooling technology because you will be keeping it under your face as you will lay face down and it will help you keep cool to avoid any pillow problems.
The above mentioned reviews and tips will help you buy the best pillows available if you are a stomach sleeper. Even after all these suggestions the final choice will be yours because no one can understand your needs better than yourself. Most of these pillows come with trials and money back guarantees so you can choose the perfect one for yourself. So try to find the best pillow which fulfills your requirements well and treat yourself by choosing the right pillow for stomach sleepers. Hopefully, your quality of sleep will increase and you will find that these pillows do something about your lower back and neck problems.